Friday, August 03, 2007

Still struggling

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Well swallowtail still isn’t finished. Yesterday I felt like attacking it with a pair of scissors. It seems like lace takes more concentration than comes naturally to me, especially when I can’t see what is going on because the yarn is so dark.

Do you like my centre stitch marker?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

It seemed appropriate since every time I got to it I needed to frog. I had probably made a simple translocation of stitches but when I frog it just compounds the error unless I am incredibly careful (also something that doesn’t come naturally to me) with YO’s etc.

Anyway I persevered and I now just have 2 rows and the Bind Off then I can block! Maybe today?

In the meantime I started some routine knitting for my sanity. I picked the So Called Scarf . I found the pattern on Ravelry. It is very simple, has a flat almost woven texture that is very different from most knitting. I like the way it is turning out with Colinette Prism in some undetermined colour (Mardi Gras?) that I got in sale pack from Colinette’s Mill shop.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

My wonderful, quirky SP10 spoilee sent me a thank you package. It contained biodynamic Chai Tea, an empty packet that had contained some amazingly delicious organic clotted cream fudge (it was empty when I got it honest! That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Best of all the most sensuously soft baby merino laceweight from Malabrigo in a gorgeous colour somewhere between forest green and dark teal. I really must make something to wrap around my neck with this. Thank you so much Erqsome. BTW I only jusund your sweet thank you letter as I checked my secret email address before signing up for SP11.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

In other news I am off for an X-ray this afternoon. My knees have been really painful, stiff and swollen for a few weeks and it has been getting worse so I went off to the doc’s on Tuesday. This is what I came away with.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Anti-inflammatory pills, and pills to protect my stomach when I take them, a months worth of painkillers (paracetemol, opium and caffeine) but it is the 2 bits of paper that might interest UK readers. They are a prescription for a blood test (which I had yesterday) and a prescription for X-rays to both knees and both hands. I guess arthritis is probably main suspect. I paid 22 euros to the doctor all but 1 euro of which gets paid back into my bank account soon. The prescription stuff was free, so will the X-ray be and I paid the nurse who did my blood test 4.35 euros which will also be reimbursed. The results of my blood test will be ready today, I pick them up from the pharmacy and copies are sent to my doctor. When I go to my X-ray today I expect to leave with my X-rays.

I watched Michael Moore’s film ‘Sicko’ recently. It was a bit of an eye-opener for me as to how the Health service varies in different countries. I realised he was taking a very one sided perspective but even so it makes me feel very fortunate to be living in a country with such an excellent health system. I may be wrong but I imagine that US readers will be surprised at the cost and UK readers will be amazed at the speed of receiving non urgent treatment and that the results not only are available almost instantly but belong to the patient. What’s it like where you are?

5 Comments:

Blogger Ambermoggie, a fragrant soul said...

nearly there Maylin, well done for sticking with it:)
Ho[pe the results are good ones and not arthritis.
BTW when are you putting some stuff on etsy??

4:10 PM  
Blogger kiki said...

wonderful stitchmarker and scarf (it´s also in my queue at ravelry). i just finished my actual scarf knitted from your oasis - do you remember?

hope you are fine & send 1000 best wishes!
kiki

6:03 PM  
Blogger Nickerjac said...

Hope the x-ray shows that it isn't to bad :) Look after yourself

9:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I live in Normandy, so we are enjoying (!) the same awful weather here.
I suffer from knee problems that sound similar and find that 'old wives tale' true for me - too much rain makes it a whole lot worse! I swear by cod liver oil supps. taken every day, which make my life much more bearable.
Hope your knee pain eases with the medication very soon.
Carole

12:26 AM  
Blogger yvette said...

Stick with it Maylin, the shawl is so worth having, I love mine. I too love the speed of the french health service, though I don't enjoy the paperwork too much.

10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home