Thursday, January 25, 2007

Snowed in

I'm a bit late posting with the results of last Fridays Spinning. It actually took me most of the weekend off and on to finish this orange skein.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I am not very practiced at doing anything less than chunky so it seemed like really hard work to spin this fine. And not very even but I am getting better. Unlike Judy, the Spindling Scot, who spins beautiful even lace weight, metres and metres of it. I am so in awe. I really liked the colour and shine on this. Here is a close up.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

It is for my Spin to Knit pal. I also dyed her the superwash merino roving in purple, orange and magenta.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I then packaged it all up for her with a few extra goodies ready to post on Tuesday. But... we have been snowed in since then. This is the view up the road.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I had forgotten to take my camera off macro mode so the photos are a bit blurry. The garden is looking picturesque.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

But the cats have a thing or two to say about the situation.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Poor Fish (who is pretty big) was sinking so far in his belly didn't clear the drifts. It is funny seeing cat paw prints everywhere sunk so deep.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

It does make our rather dilapidated yurts look quite romantic though.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

And everything in the garden is so pretty.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

See our trusty landrover in the background? It helped us make our way to the local village shop yesterday but it was closed. Even the landie was skidding around but we did get to rescue the postman from a snowdrift. It is due to get even colder over night, -6c, and not rise above zero tomorrow but then we are back to +8c for the weekend so we should get to the post office and shops then.

Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Ambermoggie, a fragrant soul said...

looks pretty though doesn't it until you have to go out:) We've had snow threatened but its all around us. Did you get your parcel yet?
Hope you keep warm. BTW love the colours of the yarn:)

7:45 PM  
Blogger kiki said...

last we got the 1st snow here - but there´s no comparison with your winter wonderland.
i love the colours & the fibers of your homespun - it´s excellent!
have a wonderful weekend

10:52 AM  
Blogger Lorena said...

Brr! And I thought I was cold!

I must say, that photo of the cat gives me the giggles. He looks SO pissed!

3:04 PM  
Blogger barbe said...

oh my gosh that kittie in the snow picture is so funny!! Cats hate snow LOL

Hi! found you while looking thru the spin me a treasure swap list. I'm on there too-I haven't heard from or recieved a yarn yet but I am hopeful!

all of your stuff is amazing! I wish I could knit like you!

8:51 AM  
Blogger TutleyMutley said...

I'm so jealous - we haven't had a sniff of snow here in Devon - it's been so mild!
You spinners are inspirational - I'm sorely tempted to give it a go.
Hope you're tucked up warm and cosy with plenty of knitting to be going on with till the thaw!

11:57 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you for the compliment, I use a lace flyer which makes it easier. I've also been spinning for just over 30 years, my grandmother taught me when I was 9.

I love the orange yarn, it looks very honeycomb golden, deliciously scrummy!

Tonight is boring beige BFL and silk which I will dye deep garnet red.

Looks like we are having similar weather, have you had a go at skiing or snow shoeing yet?

Your yarn has been posted up on the Tricotin website, and it looks awesome! I think you should win the best fancy skein competition, beautiful work!

Judy

3:55 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Thought I'd "Hi" you back;) I am in lust with your orange yarn...That color is gorgeous!
Beautiful snow and chilly kitty makes me laugh.
Oh! and Long live secret pals!
Are you signed up SP10???
Later,
Susan.

3:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home