Tuesday, May 09, 2006

SP8 Questionnaire

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I prefer natural fibres and like variegated and patterned yarns. I have such a large stash now that I am trying to go for quality rather than quantity. I really like all the Noro yarns.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
Vases

3. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I have been knitting on and off for about 25 years (I think) and I think of myself as intermediate as there is always something new to try or learn. That's what keeps us young - right?

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Yes on Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.fr (and boy don't the prices vary)

5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
Lavender, Geranium, Rose, are all time favorites sometimes fruity scents are nice. I'm not so keen on the spicy ones though.

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Chocolate, dark chocolate, mint crisp chocolate, fruit and nut chocolate, Lindt Tarte Citron chocolate.

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I spin, dye, sew, crochet. Sometimes I do cardmaking and like pop up cards and origami. I'm up for trying anything that looks interesting.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I like all sorts from Dylan to U2. Female singer-songwriters, Alanis Morissette, Dido, Shawn Colvin. Souxie, the Au Pairs, Ova, Holly Near, Laurie Anderson.

9. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
I'm not to keen on some browns, yellows and blues, though some of them look real good especially together. Tend to favour purples, greens, reds, pinks, turquoise. Variegated, stripey, patterned (though I guess some plain for contrast is a good idea..)

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
One grown up son (my online tech support when I am not too embarassed by what I don't know to ask). 5 cats, 4 are big and all-black and can freak people out when they all appear together (Fish, Painter, Man Ray and Marge) and one is much smaller and all grey and he just enchants people (Jenkins). 2 angora goats, Maybe and Peutetre, who donate their lovely mohair, or at least I want them to but they find it hard to keep still when I am trying to clip them.

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
Yes, I have made so many scarves though I have run out of people to give them to so have a large personal collection, most of my hats are boring and I have no knitted ones (hmm theres an idea for my next project good thing I thought of that) I wear fingerless gloves almost exclusively. Although I like ponchos they can be a bit annoying to wear when carrying a bag (or am I just clumsy?)

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
I suppose I have knitted more scarves than anything but that can get a bit boring. I always go back to fingerless gloves the way other people go back to socks - they are very quick too. I have a short attention span and love starting new projects and trying new techniques. I'm not so good at finishing things but want to be. I like knitting to felt at the moment. I have been doing bags but want to try some clogs soon.

13. What are you knitting right now?
I have close to 30 UFO's at the moment and one of my New Years revolutions was to finish or frog all of them, however I didn't take account of other new ones I would start! There are a couple of ideas I want to get started on but I am trying to finish the clapotis I am knitting before I start anything else.

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Oh yes

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
It's horses for courses really, I like all of them in the right situation but generally use bamboo straights or addi turbos. I have tried knitting gloves (rather than socks) on 2 addis and it is great so I am into collecting addis now. I also want to try and get some short needles, they are so much nicer for things like scarves and modular knitting (which I have just discovered) and I haven't seen any anywhere (I resorted to cutting a pair of bamboos in half!). I also want to get some really long addis (how long do they go?) to try some of the Moebius patterns in Cat Bordhi's book and some of the Debbie New stuff.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
A yarn winder no swift yet but I am watching swifts on ebay.

17. How did you learn to knit?
All by myself with 10mm needles and Colinette Point 5 in Red Parrot . I recently unpicked this cardigan as it had holes in the elbows and will probably knit and felt a bag with it.

18. How old is your oldest UFO?
16 years or maybe more (blushes) it's only a baby hat too! I will finish it, there are lots of babies around at the moment (well I guess there always are but I seem to have a lot of friends who have babies at the moment). Ever since the Knitting Olympics when I knitted a coat in 16 days I have been much more inclined to finish things. So there is hope.

19. What is your favorite holiday?
Every day's a holiday if you make it so. As I get older though I prefer the summer, especially later summer when it isn't so hot but the days are still long.

20. Is there anything that you collect?
Yarn, fabric, knitting books, vintage silk kimonos (though I only have about 16 and I bought some of them for the fabric - they are so cheap for what they are - check it out on ebay)

21. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
An evergrowing list of books on Amazon.
Long addi turbos and bamboo (or other) short needles.
I want to try one of the celtic cable patterns from the www.girlfromauntie.com and somewhere I saw a pattern for felted clogs I must track down.
I subscribe to the 2 UK magazines and Interweave Knits and Vogue Knitting. I would like to get hold of the 2006 Interweave crochet special but haven't been able to so far.

22. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
I want to try something in lace, I haven't done much of that. I want to venture into the realm of freeform (knit and crochet) and from the Debbie New book I want to try Labyrinth Knitting and Virtual Knitting.


23. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
I have knitted one sock (nearly) but I think I might be ready to get into this particular genre now. I also have 3 rather lovely sock books to inspire me.
Length of foot 25cm
Circumference at widest point 26cm

24. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)
April 1st (really)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your secret pal thanks you!
;-)

12:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home